Policy – Appointment to committees
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that the Australasian College for Infection Prevention and Control (ACIPC) adopts a standard approach for the appointment of ACIPC membership (general members and executive representatives) to all committees and attracts the best available member for committee positions. ACIPC has been established as a company that functions using a combination of remunerated positions (contractors, and some designated committee positions), as well as voluntary positions.
This policy is limited to appointments to internal and external committees made within the scope and activity of ACIPC related functions.
This policy does not apply to membership of committees (personal or business) that are held independently of ACIPC operations. In this case, ACIPC members do have a personal responsibility to consider and manage the potential for conflicts of interest.
This policy will provide a framework of advice for the:
- appointment of ACIPC members to represent ACIPC on committees;
- conduct of membership when representing ACIPC.
The policy will also provide specific procedures and expectations in relation to:
- ACIPC Member, and ACIPC Executive responsibility;
- reporting back to ACIPC.
ACIPC is committed to ensuring that fair and effective procedures and processes are implemented when appointing representatives to committees. A standard approach shall be used when appointing representatives:
- to internal ACIPC Committees; and
- to represent the College on external industry committees.
The processes in this document have been developed to attract the best available representatives to committee positions.
Representatives on committees may be required to sign a confidentiality or code of conduct clause in their letter of appointment to committees. This will be at the discretion of individual committees.
Internal ACIPC Committees
The Executive Council (EC) will authorise appointments to internal committees. Appointments to internal committees will be made using the terms of reference for the committee.
External organisations, committees and partnerships
ACIPC is regularly invited to appoint representatives to external groups. All requests for ACIPC representation on external committees shall be made in writing to the ACIPC President. The requests are generally received via (but are not limited to) invitation from a statutory body, invitation from professional contacts, or ACIPC involvement with related organisations.
ACIPC may ask the requesting organisation for additional information including (but not limited to) :
- expectations of the external organisation regarding the role of the College, and the college representative;
- committee terms of reference or scope;
- any allowances or costs associated with attending meetings (e.g. travel and accommodation);
- terms of appointment;
- anticipated time period of the involvement (include commencement and time commitment required);
- confidentiality or conflict of interest clauses.
Nomination for external committees
The EC will nominate and authorise members to represent the College on external committees on a case- by-case basis, noting that the external organization may retain final decision to accept or decline the nominated person.
The EC will:
- monitor the performance of the representative during the period of representation on the external committee;
- include a report from the external committee as a standing agenda item at EC meetings. The appointee to external committees is required to provide a report using the reporting template (on the College website) to the EC within 10 business days of the committee meeting being held;
- identify remuneration arrangements (if applicable) and claimable expenses (if applicable) in the terms of appointment.
Recruitment and selection procedure
Responsibility for the recruitment and selection may be delegated by the EC to the Executive Manangement Team (EMT), a subcommittee, or a selection panel appointed by the EMT. At conclusion of the selection process the EMT, subcommittee, or selection panel will recommend the suitable applicant/s to the EC for appointment.
Advertising positions: where possible (noting requests for external committees occasionally have very limited timeframes) the College will advertise opportunities to members via Infexion Connexion, e-bulletin, and the College website.
- The committee appointment checklist (appendix A) shall be used.
- The ACIPC President (or committee chair for internal committees) shall appoint a selection panel to undertake the selection procedure.
- Selection panel for external committees: the selection panel shall comprise the president and at least 2 (two) executive members and/or members from college standing committees.
The selection panel shall undertake the following steps:
- Read and familiarise themselves with the requirements for the position.
- Document the key selection criteria on the selection panel table (appendix B).
- Advertised positions using the advertising template (appendix C), and place on the College website, Infexion Connexion and newsletter inserts as appropriate to the position.
Application procedures for all applicants:
All applicants are required to submit a written application which includes:
- performance against the selection criteria
- a current curriculum vitae (CV)
- referees (where requested in the position criteria)
All applications must be received by the closing date. Any applications received after the closing date will not be accepted. All applications will receive written notice of receipt by email or letter using the template (Appendix D1 and D2).
After the closing date all applications will be reviewed against the selection criteria for the position (using the template in appendix B).
- All application information shall be treated confidentially.
- Interviews may be conducted in person or using virtual meeting processes. Appendix E provides tips for effective telephone interviewing if required.
- Each panel member will independently evaluate the applicant against the selection criteria using a numerical score from one (does not meet the criteria) to five (fully meets the criteria). The results will be collated for each applicant and used to inform the decision making of the selection panel.
- Reference check: the selection panel will appoint a member to conduct a verbal reference check using the template (appendix F).
- Following completion of the selection process, the selection panel will recommend suitably qualified applicant/s to the EC for appointment.
If the recruitment process fails to attract qualified applicants then the EC may, at its own discretion, invite a suitably qualified member for appointment to the position.
- The EC will make the final decision regarding appointment.
- Successful applicants: the College President will contact the successful applicant via telephone to offer the position. In addition, a letter of appointment will be sent to the successful applicant. Appendix G provides an appointment letter template. Once the appointment is accepted, the appointee is expected to review and commit to the committee terms of reference and expectations.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be notified in writing. Appendix H offers an unsuccessful applicant template.
- Announcement will be made to the membership using website and electronic communication platforms.
Disputes and termination:
- The decision of the EC shall be final.
- ACIPC may terminate any appointment to represent the college at its own discretion.
Relevant documents and references
Code of Ethics and Conduct
Dispute Resolution-Rules & Operational Guideline
Remuneration and Reimbursement of Expenses Policy