This course is suitable for healthcare practitioners involved in undertaking HIV and Hepatitis testing in all healthcare settings including midwifery, acute care, community health, women’s health, correctional health, rural and remote health, refugee health, sexual health, and infection prevention and control practitioners.
The course was previously known as The HIV and Hepatitis Pre and Post Testing Discussion Course and was delivered by the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS) at the La Trobe University.
Use the following button to book individual students into the Blood Borne Virus Testing Course. If you pay by credit card when booking, the student will be allocated to the next available course.
Expression of Interest
Use the following button to submit an Expression of Interest in the Blood Borne Virus Testing Course. Once submitted you will receive an email when a course becomes available.
Blood Borne Virus Testing Course Poster
The course study is designed to be completed in 6 weeks, with a compulsory webinar the week after the course has ended.
Students will gain a working knowledge of the components of effective pre- and post-test discussion. In particular they will:
- Gain a working knowledge of HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C with particular reference to epidemiology, transmission, management options and prevention
- Refresh their knowledge on the different tests available to correctly diagnose HIV hepatitis B and hepatitis C, testing intervals post exposure and window periods for testing
- Consolidate their understanding of post incident pre- and post-test discussion for both the recipient and the source following the incident
- Increase their understanding of the personal impact and medical consequences of HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C
- Build on existing skills and knowledge in conducting a risk assessment for HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C
- Be introduced to strategies and resources for effective health promotion and prevention education
The course will be delivered online.