Scientific conference committee
To address the interests and educational requirements of the ACIPC membership and to ensure that the conference provides revenue for ACIPC by generating a scientific program of sufficient interest that ensures attendance by both delegates and sponsors.
Responsibility for conference budget, timelines, marketing and social events rests with the Professional Conference Organiser (PCO) in collaboration with a Board Member as the Convenor and the Executive Manager. The Convenor may be invited to sit on the Scientific Conference Committee at the Chair’s discretion.
The Scientific Conference Committee (SCC) responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, these functions:
- To provide direction, decision making and information relating to the Scientific Program to the PCO.
- To ensure invited speakers and abstracts selected for inclusion are of high quality and reflect innovation and diversity.
- To make logistical decisions and conference documents in a timely manner.
- To participate in abstract reviewing and Chairing.
- To be responsible for the organisation and approval of a balanced and attractive high quality scientific program.
- To approve the conference program, handbook and abstract.
- The Committee chair will report to the Board of Directors (Board) with a monthly written report
The committee will consist of a chair and up to six members with the requisite skills and experience.
- The chair of the committee is appointed by the executive management team. If required, the chair may nominate one of the members as deputy chair or co-chair.
- Members are appointed by written application to the chair of the committee with final approval by the board of directors.
- Members serve a term of two years and may seek reappointment (Appendix 1 Current Committee).
- Members are required to attend a minimum of 75% of all scheduled meetings unless a leave of absence, or alternative arrangement has been approved by the chair or there is a cancellation of the meeting, which will be at the discretion of the chair.
- Meeting dates will be set by the office and sent to members’ calendars prior to the following year.
- Rescheduling or cancellation of the meetings will be at the discretion of the chair.
- A quorum consists of one-half of the membership of the committee plus one.
- Meetings are held monthly.
The chair of the committee (or delegate) is required to:
- provide a written report to the board of directors using an approved reporting template each month;
- provide a yearly report to be included in the ACIPC Annual Report AGM.
The office of ACIPC will provide secretariat support to the committee and action the following:
- preparation of agenda and notice of meeting;
- recording of minutes of the meetings;
- circulation of draft minutes from the previous meeting to be circulated one week following the meeting.
Committee members are to maintain confidentiality on all issues discussed, and members’ applications. This requirement survives the termination or expiry of membership of the membership of the committee.
Conflict of interest
Members will at all times declare any actual/potential or perceived conflicts of interests and this will be noted in the minutes of the meeting. The chair will determine any action arising from any perceived conflicts of interest.
At the end of each financial year, the committee will undertake a self-assessment of performance as directed by the committee chair. This review will be tabled at an ACIPC Board Meeting.
Review of the terms of reference
The committee must review the terms of reference each year.
Members of the ACIPC Scientific Conference Committee
Dr Holly Seale
Emily Larsen (Co-chair)
Dr Roslyn Franklin
Fiona de Sousa